Last week I spoke about developing a capsule wardrobe and how one would go about doing this, but this week I wanted to take you through just what those capsule wardrobe pieces should be! While I won't list all forty pieces, I will provide helpful guidance on what the perfect capsule wardrobe should include. Remember that the capsule wardrobe needs to fit around your lifestyle and has to be realistic for you, specifically, so adjust my recommendations to fit your lifestyle.
The right fashion staples for a capsule wardrobe
1. A basic white shirt has to be at the top of my list for so many reasons. You can wear it in so many different ways, really, so much so, that there’s no wrong choice to make! For example, you can, take it from the office to a casual day out with your friends, both in winter and summer. Or, dress it up with blazers and other pieces for a glammed vibe. If you are on a budget, we recommend Zara (check the men's section, as they have a better selection plus quality). If you want something more long-lasting check out COS. If you are splurging then visit ME+EM (this shirt is currently on sale, scoop it now before it goes)!
2. You can never go wrong with a trusted LBD (little black dress), especially one that you can take from day to night with a few quick switches. For instance, take a look at this MSGM dress: you can wear it during the day with the trusted white shirt for a formal look, or a t-shirt for a more relaxed look at home or in a dress-down office. Take it into the night, and just leave the shirt at home (add some accessories to tie it all together and a pair of pumps). What’s not to love?
3. Speaking of pumps (high heels), every woman should always own a pair of pumps in a neutral or staple colour (classic black or simply a nude pair, for example). If you are on a budget then high street brands such as Aldo and Topshop (via ASOS) tend to have a great selection both in nude and black. If you are splurging then why not check out Christian Louboutin? Remember, though, that they’re well known more for their appearance than their comfort). Alternative high-end brands you might want to check out too are Sergio Rossi, Casadei and Jimmy Choo (definitely better comfort)
4. If pumps are not for you then add a pair of smart ballerina flats. Both are great, whether with slingback or open toes for those summer nights. One of our favourite brands for fancy ballerinas has to be Rupert Sanderson. But for a more budget-friendly approach, definitely check out brands such as Zara, or even H&M (keep an eye out for their seasonal collections).
5. During the colder months, depending on which part of the world you’re in, you might want to invest in a pair of boots. Whether that be ankle, knee-length or over-the-knee, all of these options are definitely worth the purchase. Brands such as Casadei have a great selection of over-the-knee boots. If you prefer the ankle bootie, then Chloe is also an alternative, plus the high street options make great dupes as well. One thing with ankle boots is that they’re not just for winter, but practical to wear even in summer when going to festivals. Pair them with a dress and it’s an instant winner!
6. While not everyone is a fan of trainers, they just seem so practical and you should have at least one pair. Whether it's having them more for functionality, such as footwear to the gym, or simply to add a more casual laid back feel to some of our outfits, they’re a great capsule wardrobe essential. In terms of brands, think along the lines of Nike and Adidas (occasionally they collaborate with celebrities for that more limited edition style, too). Other brands that you might like are Yeezy, Gucci or Alexander McQueen.
7. Why not pair your trainers with a casual pair of denim? When it comes to capsule denim pieces, we always recommend having at least 3 pairs: a pair of denim shorts, a pair of skinnies or boot cut denim, and that high-waisted flared pair that you secretly love. Some of our favourite places to shop for denim are Gap, Topshop and Zara. If you want to splurge then MiH or Paige Denim have great styles!
8. For those chill summer nights, or when you are travelling and want to keep warm on a flight, we recommend adding a jumper to your wardrobe. But, why not create a full simplistic look and just purchase a full tracksuit? Not only can you wear it travelling, but also running errands and having a casually relaxing day at home as a PJ alternative. Both high street and high-end carry amazing designs season after season. For example, brands such as Jluxlabel, and House of CB have a great colour palette to choose from.
9. If you live in a colder climate or just need something a little more snug, why not invest in a leather jacket? You’ve got lots of choices with options such as ASOS, or Balmain. If you want something cosier, then check out Maxmara. They make some of the best teddy coats. On a budget? Check out H&M, too.
10. To create a more polished look, you’ll want to have a tailored suit as part of your capsule wardrobe. Paired with a pair of ballerina flats, or trainers for a more relaxed day look, and then swapped for a pair of pumps for a nice corporate dinner outing? You really can’t beat it! One brand that always gets a shoutout everywhere, especially during the summer months for its bold and bright choices, is ZARA. You’ll want to check this brand out every single season!
11. No look is complete without that “It bag”, of course. Whether that be a mini, tote or oversized, pick one that you love. We recommend investing in a neutral-toned bag so that it can go with your entire wardrobe. Our recommendation is to look through your wardrobe, understand your colour palette then purchase after. While brands like Chanel or Hermes stay more on our wish list due to the price point, High street brands can also carry quality bags that look amazing, too.
12. To put the finishing touches to an outfit, why not add some type of accessory? Whether that be a designer watch you have always wanted, those pair of Dior, Fendi or Louis Vuitton earrings, that Swarovski necklace or simply the famous Gucci or Moschino belt, it all counts. Having great quality pieces in your accessory wardrobe will help alternate your outfit even further, too. Other brands or department stores you might want to check out that have a great selection of accessories are Farfetch, Selfridges, Harrods or Mytheresa.
So, we have shared a glimpse of what your capsule wardrobe should consist of, from season to season, and need to need. Why not leave a comment and let us know what you will be purchasing? Got a few of your own you’d like to throw in? Go for it! Remember, everyone’s capsule wardrobe is different! Alternatively, why not book one of my services below so we can assist you in creating the perfect capsule wardrobe?